Wednesday, February 10, 2010

38 weeks


"Your baby has really plumped up. He weighs about 6.8 pounds and he's over 19 1/2 inches long (like a leek.) He has a firm grasp, which you'll soon be able to test when you hold his hand for the first time! His organs have matured and are ready for life outside the womb.

Wondering what color your baby's eyes will be? You may not be able to tell right away. If he's born with brown eyes, they'll likely stay brown. If he's born with steel gray or dark blue eyes, they may stay gray or blue or turn green, hazel, or brown by the time he's 9 months old. That's because a child's irises (the colored part of the eye) may gain more pigment in the months after he's born, but they usually won't get "lighter" or more blue. (Green, hazel, and brown eyes have more pigment than gray or blue eyes.)"

Sorry for the delay this week! Work has been pretty overwhelming and I've been exhausted by the time I get home. At least it's overtime pay, right?!?

I thought the paragraph above about the eye color was interesting. Jason has blue eyes and I have brown (although have blue in my family) so it's anybody's guess! I also wonder what color hair he's going to have. Looking at us, you'd think brown. But I just recently went through Jason's baby book and he had blond hair (WHITE blond hair!) until elementary school. So if Luke comes out with blond blond hair - that doesn't mean that he's the milkman's baby!

I've been starting to get pretty miserable. It's mostly my feet - I had no idea they could get this big and swollen. They look like elephant feet - I honestly don't recognize them. There are times in the day that it's so bad that I really don't think I can bend my toes. I try to keep them up and drink water, but geez!

And now for the appointment update (that was on Tuesday.) I'm measuring right on track and his heart rate is great. No dilation yet, but cervix is "as soft as can be." They don't really tend to check effacement, because it can be so subjective, but her best guess was about 50% effaced. His head is "as close to be engaged, without being engaged" as possible. So some progress - basically he could come tomorrow or he could wait until the induction on the 24th. I'm hoping for sometime before then. (Although if he wants to wait until after my 30th birthday, I'm happy with that!)

Lastly, please pray for my friend Maggie, her husband Chris, and their little boy Aidan. He was born at 28 weeks, and after fighting for 8 days, he passed away. They can use all of your thoughts and prayers.

No comments: