Wednesday, November 04, 2009

24 weeks



"Your baby is growing steadily, having gained about 4 ounces since last week. That puts him at just over a pound. Since he's almost a foot long (picture an ear of corn), he cuts a pretty lean figure at this point, but his body is filling out proportionally and he'll soon start to plump up. His brain is also growing quickly now, and his taste buds are continuing to develop. His lungs are developing "branches" of the respiratory "tree" as well as cells that produce surfactant, a substance that will help his air sacs inflate once he hits the outside world. His skin is still thin and translucent, but that will start to change soon."

I think it's amazing that he has gained 4 ounces in a week. I'm also pretty sure that if that's the case, he's well over a pound now, based on my last ultrasound when they estimated 13 ounces.

Something else that I thought was interesting, apparently in the past few weeks the top of my uterus has risen above my belly button and is now about the size of a soccer ball. The rising uterus probably explains the arrival of heartburn. I'm not sure that I've ever had it before, but it's shown up everyday since Saturday now.

Other things that have happened in the last week or so - Jason actually got to SEE him move my belly. It's pretty funny to watch - I think he was doing the hokey pokey one night. Kick your leg out here, kick your leg out there ..... and you shake it all about. Also sort of neat was that one evening he positioned himself so that I actually saw him sticking out (not sure what part of him though.) Not just a kick/punch, but however he was positioned was making my belly all lopsided.

I've also started to have braxton hicks contractions. They're completely normal, but I was surprised to feel them already. Apparently they start a lot earlier (12 weeks?), you just don't normally feel them until later. It's this sort of sudden tightening of the belly, and then it's rock hard for a little bit. As long as it's not more than a few a day, I'm ok. If it gets to be a few an hour then I have to call Dr. B. She said that if I do feel them picking up I'm supposed to empty the bladder, lay on my side, and drink lots of water.

We had our 24 week appt yesterday and all went well. She used a measuring tape, basically from the top to bottom of my belly and said that I was right on track. (Probably not the most scientific method, but it made me feel good.)

My weight gain is doing fine too. Quite honestly I was nervous. Overall I knew it was fine, but the last month has been a pretty decent increase so I wasn't sure if they would say something.

We haven't done much else in the nursery - although have tons of plans! Lots of things to make/decorate. We actually did just buy the letters to put his name above the crib - I just have to decide how I want to paint them.


How far along: 24 weeks
Total weight gain/loss: +13
Maternity clothes: Yes! Now I'm looking for a coat option - mine is starting to get a little snug.
Stretch marks: Nothing new.
Sleep: I'm actually doing ok here. In fact - 8 1/2 hours last night, with only two middle of the night bathroom trips.
Best moment this week: Watching him kicking/punching
Movement: A lot!
Food cravings: There was one night that I wanted a sprite to drink. I'm embarassed to admit it, but I actually ended up in tears over it.
Gender: Boy!!!
Labor Signs: Nope - I wouldn't really call the BH contractions a labor sign.
Belly Button in or out: Pretty close to being flat.
What I miss: We were at some friends on Halloween and they had made some spiked apple cider. I'm not going to lie - I wanted some.
What I am looking forward to: Working more on the nursery
Milestones: According to my websites/message boards - 24 weeks is considered viability day. Meaning at this point if something happened, there is a chance that he'd survive, and they'd try to save him. Obviously not optimal at all, and I really have no sense of relief at being here, but I'd still consider it a milestone.

No comments: