Monday, September 28, 2009

19 weeks - a mango!


"Your baby's sensory development is exploding! His brain is designating specialized areas for smell, taste, hearing, vision, and touch. Some research suggests that he may be able to hear your voice now, so don't be shy about reading aloud, talking to him, or singing a happy tune if the mood strikes you.

His arms and legs are in the right proportions to each other and the rest of his body now. His kidneys continue to make urine and the hair on his scalp is sprouting. A waxy protective coating called the vernix caseosa is forming on his skin to prevent it from pickling in the amniotic fluid."

How far along: 19 weeks
Total weight gain/loss: +4.8 (overall weight gain)
Maternity clothes: That would be a big fat yes.
Stretch marks: Nothing new.
Sleep: Aside from the frequent bathroom trips, I'm sleeping well! I love my snoogle!
Best moment this week: Picking out the bedding. I love it!
Movement: It's sporadic, but he's making himself known! Last Wednesday night when I got home from cake decorating class I used the doppler. He pushed back on it! (Or ran away from it - I'm not quite sure. Either way there was movement.) Then I sat in the glider and I think the sugar high from the icing had him bouncing off the walls. The fluttering was amazing!
Food cravings: Nothing to speak of this week.
Gender: Boy!!!
Labor Signs: Nope
Belly Button in or out: In, but it's sort of flattening out, instead of a deep innie.
What I miss: being able to get dressed quickly in the morning. Right now half of my shirts are too big and I can't ever remember which fit at the moment. If I was smart I'd try them all on and then organize them better in my closet.
What I am looking forward to: Our next ultrasound - next week!
Milestones: I'm so excited to read that studies show that he can maybe hear us now!

A few other things from this week: midnight leg cramps have started, weird pulsing in my right ear (apparently it's partially a sinus infection, but also partially because there is more blood flow and the heart is beating harder) is driving me crazy, I've had a bloody nose, and for the most part the sciatic nerve is feeling better. Physical therapy is working! Also, I went to a Baby Expo (think bridal show, but with baby stuff) with a friend on Saturday. I came home with a bag full of coupons, information, and a few fun freebie items - a toy, blanket, etc.

Also, our little boy already has some shoes! Uncle Patrick bought him some Sperry shoes so they can be stylish together.


Now for an updated belly picture! First is a picture from the front - I thought I'd show you the shirt I've been wearing in all of them. It says "Pregnant is the new skinny." I think it's sort of an illusion ... from the front, I don't think I look pregnant.


From the side is a different story!


And for fun, here is the difference between 6 1/2 weeks and 19 weeks.

1 comment:

Larry + Brenda said...

OMG! Look at that *beautiful* bump!! I can't believe you're almost half-way done!! :)