Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Halfway there - and still a boy!


So I'm a day late, but I promise some fun updates! I am 20 weeks, 1 day pregnant - 139 days until my due date - just over halfway there!! And this week, he's graduated to a cantaloupe!

"He's swallowing more these days, which is good practice for his digestive system. He's also producing meconium, a black, sticky by-product of digestion. This gooey substance will accumulate in his bowels, and you'll see it in his first soiled diaper (some babies pass meconium in the womb or during delivery)."

I've been feeling him quite a bit over the past few days. In fact, last night as I was taking a bath I was watching my stomach and actually saw it move when I felt him! Jason hasn't felt him yet - mostly because as soon as Jason comes into the room, he stops moving so we can't even try. I have a feeling if he's forceful enough to shove my belly out, Jason could probably feel him.

We had our 20 week ultrasound today - and he's still a boy! :) A pretty good sized boy at that. According to all of the calculations he actually weighs about 13 ounces. Not quite a pound, but we're getting there! Also, based on his head, stomach, and femur measurements - he's measuring about a week / week and a half ahead. We're sticking with the original due date because the early ultrasounds are actually more accurate in determining that though.

Everything was great during the ultrasound - we got to see his brain, the 4 chambers of his heart, his kidneys, his bladder, his stomach, and once again he showed off his boy part. His bladder was small because he had just peed (which was incredibly unfair as I was dying from all the water they made me drink beforehand!) His stomach was starting to fill back up from the amniotic fluid he's drinking, and he would soon be filling the bladder back up to pee. And on goes the cycle where he drinks his urine ...

He started the ultrasound facedown, and right under my belly button, which made it hard to get some good shots. Except for the "money" shot - that was pretty clear. :)


Here he is, looking down. That's his head on the left, then his back and spine, and his knees are sort of pulled up to his chest.


These are his legs all stretched out. You can see his feet on the far left. (And of course, another good glimpse of the "look at me! I'm a boy!" part on the right.)


He finally flipped over and we were able to get a shot of his face. You can see his nose and mouth here as well.


This one is sort of hard to read, but that's his face looking straight at you. It's the "alien baby" look. You can actually see his eye though!


This one is my favorite - look at his cute little fingers! They actually around stretched out all the way, but sort of folded/bent under at the knuckles. The "S" looking shape is the umbilical cord.


And lastly, his tiny little foot!


How far along: 20 weeks - we're halfway there!!!
Total weight gain/loss: +6.2 (overall weight gain)
Maternity clothes: That would be a big fat yes.
Stretch marks: Nothing new.
Sleep: This last week I've had a lot of trouble sleeping. I think it was mostly due to some work stress, anxious for Karen's bar exam results (she passed!! Yay!!), and excited for today. Not to mention all the peeing. I think he's sitting on my bladder.
Best moment this week: Actually watching him move my belly!
Movement: He's quite active sometimes! Other times I can't really feel him, but at least a few times a day I can tell he's moving around.
Food cravings: Right now, there isn't a food that I don't like.
Gender: Boy!!!
Labor Signs: Nope
Belly Button in or out: In, but it's sort of flattening out, instead of a deep innie.
What I miss: Being able to go more than a few hours without peeing.
What I am looking forward to: Starting the nursery
Milestones: We are halfway there!

I mentioned that I'm looking forward to starting on the nursery. Here is the bedding that we picked out. We're not so much going with a "theme", but more the blue/green colors. Although the elephants are adorable!




I think that's it for now!

2 comments:

Christine said...

Beautiful Baby!! I'm so excited for you having a boy, but I can't believe I was so wrong, I had such a feeling it was a girl!
And of course we love elephants in this house, Abby's room is pink&green elephants but if it had been a boy it would have been blue&green. Can't wait to see what you come up with!!

Lisa said...

I love the bedding/colors! You will have to post pictures of the nursery as I'm sure it will be super cute! Glad everything is going well.