Wednesday, December 02, 2009

28 weeks, full moon, slightly confused baby


So as of Monday, I'm 28 weeks pregnant! And that means that this week he weighs the same as a Chinese Cabbage.

"By this week, your baby weighs two and a quarter pounds (like a Chinese cabbage) and measures 14.8 inches from the top of his head to his heels. He can blink his eyes, which now sport lashes. With his eyesight developing, he may be able to see the light that filters in through your womb. He's also developing billions of neurons in his brain and adding more body fat in preparation for life in the outside world."

This week also marks the start of doctors appt's every 2 weeks, instead of 4. I had my 28 week one earlier this week and all went well. I measured exactly 28 weeks (this is based on the tape measure around the belly method), his heartrate was right about 160 (where it typically is), and she could feel his head, which was down low. He can still move around a lot, but that's where he is now. I also had my gestational diabetes test, where you drink the fun drink that gives you a sugar high, only to make you crash an hour later. We'll get the results of that back sometime later this week.

This week also brings about a full moon (specifically today) and I think that confused my body and the baby. Don't they know that we have a few more full moons until anything is supposed to happen?

Everything is fine, but we ended up spending a few hours in Labor/Delivery triage last night. I apologize to any males that read this, as this might be too much information (sorry Patrick!), but about 4:30 yesterday I noticed some pink spotting. Not tons, but enough to freak anyone out, especially because it hadn't happened before. I called my OB nurse and next thing I know they wanted me to come in (which actually made me feel a little better.)

It was after 5 at this point so we went to the maternity floor, checked in, and had our own little room in the triage area. They drew several vials of blood to check for things like infection, and the thinness of my blood (because of the blood thinner that I'm on.) They hooked me up to the monitors again and we waited. He was doing just fine (which I already knew because he'd been kicking all afternoon!) and I only had one contraction while I was there. (As a side note, that one was more interesting than the other tightening sensations I'd had before. It was a little more intense and lasted longer. It wasn't related to why I was there, but interesting that it happened while I was on the monitors.) The OB on call also came in and checked me out and cervix was still tight and closed and up high.

So basically they couldn't find any real reason for the spotting, other than that Lovenox can sometimes cause it. For the most part it has stopped, but if it starts again or doesn't completely go away then I have to go back in.

I have a friend who had the same thing happen to her, and the way they explained it to her made me feel better. Basically at this point the cervix is so vascular and beoming more sensitive that basically those tiny little blood vessels burst and you get what would be comparable to a nose bleed in your cervix. That makes sense to me, so as long as it doesn't happen again, I feel ok.

So that was our fun for this week! And as a fun "it's a small world" side note - we found out as we were leaving that an old friend from highschool and his wife were in the room next to us!

No comments: