Tuesday, December 29, 2009

32 weeks!

I know I say this every week - but where is the time going???

This week baby boy Fletcher apparently weighs the same as a jicama. Has anyone seen one of these in person? Because I have no idea what it is.

"By now, your baby weighs 3.75 pounds (pick up a large jicama) and is about 16.7 inches long, taking up a lot of space in your uterus. You're gaining about a pound a week and roughly half of that goes right to your baby. In fact, he'll gain a third to half of his birth weight during the next 7 weeks as he fattens up for survival outside the womb. He now has toenails, fingernails, and real hair (or at least respectable peach fuzz). His skin is becoming soft and smooth as he plumps up in preparation for birth."

I had my 32 week appointment today and all is going well! Measuring at about 32 1/2 weeks so right on target.

This last week has been interesting. I've gone from feeling the best I had this entire pregnancy, to entering the wonderful world of "oh my goodness, I'm so uncomfortable, when will he get here?" He's up higher now which makes it hard to breath and then seems to make my heart beat at weird intervals. Then he gets his feet lodged into my ribs which is also uncomfortable. Oh, and the swelling. The swelling has started. Sometimes I feel like a marshmallow man. It's not all the time, but there was one day that I had to go buy new socks while I was at work because the normal ones were cutting into my ankles (er, make that cankles.) I'm learning to make sure I get enough water and sit with my feet elevated. I also made the switch to a fake wedding band this week. It was one that we bought when going through some of the infertility stuff and my fingers puffed up. It's a lot more comfortable and I don't have to worry about them wanting to cut my ring off.

How far along: 32 weeks
Total weight gain/loss: I'd rather not say. Having to weigh yourself right after the holidays isn't fun.
Maternity clothes: yep! I'm now trying to find a robe that I like to wear in the hospital. Not necessarily maternity -but something that will work with my large belly.
Stretch marks: nothing yet!
Sleep: It's touch and go. I have a cold so the congestion at night isn't helping. Also, he's decided to move up higher and make breathing (especially at night) a little difficult.
Best moment this week: Christmas! I'm not sure if I mentioned it on this blog or not, but a really emotional time for me was at Christmas mass last year. A little boy sang a solo and his proud parents sat in front of us, videotaping. I cried because we wanted that so bad. It's so amazing to think that by next Christmas, we'll have our own little boy! (Ok, so he won't be singing a solo yet, but still ...)
Movement: He is a strong little bugger! Like I mentioned, he's up higher now and I think likes to wedge his feet into my ribs. Consequently, that's where he kicks. Sometimes I actually think I'm bruised inside.
Food cravings: Um, anything sweet?
Gender: Boy!!!
Labor Signs: Nothing. The occasional braxton hicks, but that's it.
Belly Button in or out: I'm pretty sure we can officially call it an outie now. Or "half flat/half out." There is no way it could be called an innie anymore.
What I miss: Taking a big deep breath
What I am looking forward to: Going to my cousins wedding this weekend! Luke seems to really love music, so I'm curious to see how active he'll be at the reception.
Milestones: "first Christmas" ... sort of anyways?

And I'll leave you with one of my favorite belly pictures so far this pregnancy. It was Christmas Eve morning and I was still in my pjs, but I love it!

No comments: